Learning Update!!!

Reading:

This week our readers learned that when you love a book you recommend it to others!  In order to recommend a book, we should be able to introduce the characters, setting, and retell the story.  Sharing these details gets our friends excited about trying out the books we love to read.

For the remainder of the year, I will be recommending some of my favorite books to our class.  We will enjoy some new chapter books series and picture books that I love.  I want your child to be excited to continue reading through the summer!  Look for some books lists, with books at your child’s just right level, to come home next week.  To keep your child’s skills fresh, reading everyday over the summer will be essential!  Our school library will also be open on Tuesdays from 10-12 in June and July!

Writing:

This week during writing, first graders took their last writing assessment. Thank you for all your help with brainstorming a character, problem, and solution with your child this week. They have done amazing with making sure to write a realistic story with lots of details! We also took some time to pass back all of the writing assessments and celebrations from the beginning of the year and put them into a book. First graders had so much fun looking at their writing from the very first day of school. They have grown SO much this year as writers! Look for this special keepsake in the next couple of weeks! We will spend the last weeks of school reviewing and practicing all the different kinds of writing we have learned this year.

Math:

This week, we took our Unit 7 assessment – our first graders did great!!!

We started working on adding two 2-digit numbers together. We introduced a strategy called New Ten Above. ​

Our goal is to understand that sometimes when we add two-digit numbers – we make a new ten!!!