Learning Update!!!

Writing:

We focused on making our stories easy for other people to read, this week. We spent time focusing on neat handwriting, finger spaces, and spelling our word wall words correctly.

We spent time practicing putting capitals in the right places – we focused on making sure to capitalize the letter I when we talk about ourselves. We are encouraging our writers to be careful not to add capital letters to all their words (which is common for beginning writers). We will continue to build on where to add capitals and punctuation throughout the school year.

Math:

This week, we reviewed all the concepts that we covered in Unit 2. Unit 2 covered addition and subtraction strategies and provided the foundation for all of the math learning that will take place for the rest of this year and beyond. Look for the math assessment to come home soon and check over how your child performed. Any areas that are still NOT consistently solid, we will continue to practice in our lesson warm ups and small group intervention.  This week’s homework will be a review of writing addition equations (P + P = T) and subtraction equations (T – P = P).

Reading:

We talked about how good readers think about their books as they read.  We focused on how when they finish reading one book, before moving on to their next book, they can stop and think. This week, we focused on making connections to our books as we read. As we read, we stopped to think, ‘Would I feel the same way, if that had happened to me?’ or ‘Do I know of any other characters, from different books, who have felt this way before?’ Connections help us to understand how characters feel and infer why they are acting the way they are acting in different parts of a story. Making these connections will help your child to have a deeper understanding of story events and prepares them to be able to talk about character traits.