This week, we received notice from the SUPER SECRET DETECTIVE AGENCY that our first graders had earned their badges for all their hard work solving hard words. They delivered the badges and sent us off with a new mission. We are focusing in on SNAP WORDS (words we know and can read quickly, without having to slow down – we know them in a snap). We’ve worked hard to grown the number of snap words we know and have practiced recognizing these words in our reading.
This week in writing we continued working on our How To’s! We worked on picking out a strong topic that we know a lot about and then planning out our How To by sketching out the steps. Then, we focused on the attributes of a good introduction and conclusion.
The first graders are coming up with really cool and detailed How To’s. Next week we will work on fixing up our How To’s and celebrating them!!
We continued to work on missing partner strategies, this week. The first graders performed very well with the strategy of:
- Circling the numbers in the story
- Listening to see if the story is subtraction or addition
- Writing the secret code that matches the story (T-P=P or P+P=T)
- Adding the number to the equation
- Drawing the math mountain
- Putting the total at the top
- Clapping and counting ON or UP to solve for the missing number
We are in the habit of checking to see if the number we solved for makes sense in the math mountain (the largest number always has to go at the top). If they make a mistake, the math mountain helps them to realize this.